The onshore oil and gas industry is a critical sector that plays a significant role in meeting the world’s energy needs. The extraction, production, and transportation of oil and gas pose numerous safety risks to workers and the environment. One of the most significant hazards in this industry is exposure to toxic gases such as hydrogen sulphide (H2S) and benzene. These gases can cause severe health problems and even death in high concentrations. To prevent such incidents, it is crucial to implement effective gas detection systems in the workplace.
There are several different sources of H2S in the oil and gas industry. H2S is found naturally in many oils and may be a by-product of specific mining processes.1 It is often considered ‘one of the most dangerous gases in the oil and gas industry’, and is one of the most common causes of workplace deaths in the sector.2,3
H2S is a silent killer – while H2S has a pungent smell at low concentrations, at fatal doses, it can no longer be detected by the human nose and causes olfactory fatigue. Crude oil processing is one of the main sources of H2S emissions, but exposure can also come from scrubbers and other sources designed to capture H2S for safety and environmental reasons.4
International Gas Detectors (IGD) offers a range of gas detection solutions that are specifically designed for the onshore oil and gas industry. The 903-X5 is a fixed gas detection system that is incredibly versatile and can be fitted with any sensor combination from the range of 400. The key feature of the 903-X5 is its dual sensor capability, which enables it to detect both low-level volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and flammable gases. This capability makes the 903-X5 a best-in-class solution for the onshore oil and gas industry, where the need for multiple gas detection at one point in a fixed device is crucial.5
Gas Detection Options
The 903-X5 is available in addressable, analogue, or standalone versions and can be customized to meet the specific needs of each individual application.5 As a fixed device, the 903-X5 is a good option for installation in refineries and near H2S scrubbers for continual online monitoring and protection, as there is a risk of leakage at any time.
While H2S is corrosive and poses a risk of equipment failure in refineries to many mechanical components, the biggest risk is personnel safety.
Portable monitoring is an excellent way of protecting staff, particularly in outdoor environments where fixed safety detectors may not always be suitable. It is also possible to use gas detectors that detect a range of gases and provide more comprehensive safety protection against the dangers of working in onshore oil and gas refineries.
IGD offers the SGT-P, a portable hydrogen sulfide detector that provides ultimate personal protection against H2S gas leaks. Its lightweight and ergonomic design makes it an ideal device for personal use, and its maintainable design with replaceable batteries helps to minimize downtime. Its environmentally friendly features also offer unlimited operational life for personal safety against hydrogen sulfide gas leaks.6
Another option is the SENKO multi-gas monitor (MGT) is another personal portable gas detection solution that is ideal for small, enclosed spaces. The MGT is a four-gas sensor designed to detect Flammable Gases (CxHx), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S), and Oxygen enrichment/depletion. The compact personal MGT multi-gas monitor boasts an easy-to-read LCD display equipped with clear vibration, audible, and visual alarms to alert the user to potential environmental hazards. The MGT is specifically designed to endure even the toughest of environments, and it features enhanced data logging capabilities – these can be downloaded to a PC using an IR link.7
Both of these detectors are excellent choices for personnel working in areas where H2S exposure is a risk, such as refineries and mines and operators working on equipment maintenance, whether indoors or outdoors.
Finally, the PID NEO, a highly advanced, portable, precise benzene detector, is a market leader. The PID NEO can detect benzene up to 200 ppm and down to 5 PPB, making it the ideal choice for portable benzene detection and the most accurate benzene detector. The PID NEO is lighter, smaller, and more stable than most benzene portable gas detectors currently on the market. It also features a 24-hour uninterrupted run-time, a MICRO USB port for fast and easy charging, and a full data logging ability with > 240,000 data points that can be transferred to a PC using the USB Micro connection or downloaded to the NEO App.8
Gas detection is an essential safety aspect in the onshore oil and gas industry. The 903-X5 fixed gas detection system and its accompanying portable options provide a comprehensive solution for the hazards present in this industry. With the 903-X5’s dual sensor capability, it can detect both low-level volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and flammable gases, making it ideal for the onshore oil and gas industry, where multiple gas detection at one point in a fixed device is crucial.
The incredibly high levels of sensitivity of these detectors make them suitable for use in areas where the flammability, as well as the toxicity of H2S, is a risk, and the compact nature of the device means they are easy to incorporate into individual PPE.
Portable options include the SGT-P hydrogen sulphide detector, the SENKO MGT personal multi-gas monitor, and the PID NEO benzene detector. The SGT-P is a light and compact device, making it ideal for personal safety against H2S gas leaks. The SENKO MGT personal multi-gas monitor is easy to use and offers reliable detection of CO, H2S, flammable gases, and oxygen depletion/enrichment, making it perfect for confined spaces. The PID NEO benzene detector is regarded as the most sophisticated portable benzene detector in the world.
International Gas Detectors
In conclusion, IGD provides a detectably better solution for gas detection in the onshore oil and gas industry. With a range of options available, facilities can choose the perfect solution for their needs, whether it be the versatile 903-X5, the personal safety options of the SGT-P, SENKO MGT, and PID NEO, or a combination of these products. With a century of industry knowledge and expertise, IGD is committed to providing a safe and secure working environment for onshore oil and gas personnel.5
- HSE Now, (2022), Hydrogen Sulfide, https://jpt.spe.org/hydrogen-sulfide-understanding-exposure-risk-in-the-oil-and-gas-sector, accessed June 2023
- Drager (2022) H2S A Growing Challenge, https://www.draeger.com/library/content/h2s-ebook-enus.pdf, accessed June 2023
- Asad, M. M. (2019). Oil and Gas Disasters and Industrial Hazards Associated with Drilling Operation : An Extensive Literature Review. 2019 2nd International Conference on Computing, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies (ICoMET), 1–6. https:// doi/10.1109/ICOMET.2019.8673516
- Habeeb, O. A., Kanthasamy, R., Ali, G. A. M., & Sethupathi, S. (2018). Hydrogen sulfide emission sources , regulations , and removal techniques : a review. Rev. Chem. Eng, 34(6), 837–854. https://doi.org/10.1515/revce-2017-0004
- International Gas Detectors. (n.d.a). TOC 903-X5 Gas Detector Transmitter – Dual Gas Detector. Retrieved from https://www.internationalgasdetectors.com/product/toc-903-x5-gas-detector-transmitter-dual-gas-detector/
- International Gas Detectors. (n.d.b). Portable Hydrogen Sulphide Detector. Retrieved from https://www.internationalgasdetectors.com/product/portable-hydrogen-sulphide-detector/
- International Gas Detectors. (n.d.c). Personal Multi-Gas Monitor – MGT. Retrieved from https://www.internationalgasdetectors.com/product/personal-multi-gas-monitor-mgt/
- International Gas Detectors. (n.d.d). Portable Benzene Detector. Retrieved from https://www.internationalgasdetectors.com/product/portable-benzene-detector/
- International Gas Detectors. (n.d.e). The Most Advanced Gas Transmitter – 903-X5. Retrieved from https://www.internationalgasdetectors.com/most-advanced-gas-transmitter-903-x5/