Gas detectors are essential safety devices across several industries.1 Advances in gas sensing have made it possible to detect even trace amounts of potentially hazardous gases with excellent reliability.2 This article will look at some of the market-leading solutions for gas detection in underground car parks and some of the considerations of the technical requirements for such detectors.
The Issue with Car Park Applications
Road vehicles emit toxic gases into the atmosphere, the most common being nitrogen monoxide (NO), nitrogen dioxide (NO2), carbon monoxide (CO) and Carbon Dioxide (CO2).3,4 These gases all have personal exposure limits.
As well as being a major environmental concern, these toxic gases also pose a serious threat to human health, particularly in confined spaces such as enclosed car parks. Despite being an essential part of urban infrastructure, the lack of ventilation can make underground car parks hazardous if toxic gases are allowed to accumulate. One solution would be to run ventilation continuously, which does happen but is wasteful of energy if there are no gas hazards to ventilate. This approach also does not guarantee that gases are not still accumulating in areas or poor ventilation. Flammable gases, such as LPG, can also be a safety concern, particularly in countries like Turkey that have underground LPG filling stations. Thus, gas detection and effective gas detection systems are of the utmost importance to ensure the safety of the people who park their vehicles in these car parks.6
As a leader in the field, International Gas Detectors (IGD) provides a solution to this with our range of fixed and portable gas detection.
2-Wire Addressable Gas Detection Systems
IGD has recently launched a new range of 2-Wire Addressable gas detection systems that are specifically designed to streamline installation, reduce costs, and provide longevity for gas detection in car parks. The system uses our industry-leading Sentinel+ communication to interconnect the gas sensors back to the control panel via a 2-Core daisy-chained cable. This eliminates the need for multiple cables, reducing installation costs. The system is polarity independent and is plug and play, making it simple to install. It is also covered under a 10-year warranty.
The system is extremely configurable in how it can be deployed across a site. Each detector has its own in built I/O. This allows the output on a detector to directly, for instance, control an illuminated sign (“switch off engines” etc), sound alarms or control a jet fan or ventilation damper. This minimises site cabling and costs without compromising system functionality. Additional sensors can be easily added. These can include, not just gas detectors but other environmental sensors such as temperature and humidity.
Multi-gas sensing is a significant safety measure as many processes, including vehicle combustion, produce multiple gas types. Having remote sensing means it is possible to cover an area comprehensively with multiple sensors for complete gas monitoring and safety assurance without the need for complicated infrastructure.
One of the key benefits of IGD’s 2-Wire Addressable gas detection systems is the significant cost savings that can be achieved. The use of a single 2-Core cable for both power and communication reduces installation costs by up to 70% compared to traditional gas detection systems. As sensors come pre-calibrated with a one-click automatic set-up option, installation and commissioning are also faster and error-free. All of this makes IGD’s 2-Wire Addressable gas detection systems a cost-effective solution for car parks and underground car parks.7
TOC-635 Gateway Addressable Gas Detection System
The TOC 635 Gateway is the ideal solution for car park applications. It has all of the benefits of the standard 2-wire controllers but is a DIN rail module, allowing for easy installation inside ventilation control panels. Remote displays and I/O cards can be added as required. The module has on board embedded WiFi pages for configuration and test functions that can be accessed by any WiFi enabled device, no special software or cables required.
Designed to be the central hub of a gas detection system, the TOC-GATEWAY is a solution that provides complete control for gas safety monitoring in enclosed and underground car parks. The TOC-GATEWAY complies with IEC 60079-29-1, a widely recognized safety standard for gas detection systems, and soon to be approved for EN 50545 for enclosed car parks (approval pending stay tuned, please check product datasheet to find out when approved).
TOC-GATEWAY is a versatile, reliable, and safe solution for gas detection in car parks and underground car parks. Its compliance with IEC 60079-29-1 and its Modbus interface make it the perfect choice for systems integrators.8 With its central control, remote monitoring capabilities, and long-term reliability, the TOC-GATEWAY provides peace of mind for those who park their vehicles in underground car parks, ensuring their safety is always the top priority.
The 635 allows for up to 99 devices on one system, allowing for full customizability for your requirements. Moreover, the onboard wifi feature allows for easy system status access and the ability to mute alarms remotely from any nominated device. All of these features are available on IGD’s revolutionary 2-wire addressable technology.
TOC-750 Safe Area Gas Detectors
The TOC-750 series safe area detectors from IGD represent the latest gas detection technology. These detectors are designed to provide a safe and effective solution for gas detection in various environments. With the ability to detect over 400 different gases and vapors, the TOC-750 detectors are highly versatile and can be used to detect a wide range of potential threats.
The TOC-750 series detectors have a compact and lightweight design and are fully customizable, allowing selection of the right sensor for the specific application, whether it be for the detection of CO, or any other gas or vapour.10
IGD – Detectably Better Gas Detection
The combination of 2-Wire addressable, 635 gateway, and 750 series detectors provide a breadth of benefits for car park applications.
With IGD, you can have confidence in your gas detection system and be assured that it is “Detectably Better.”
Contact IGD today to find out more about our gas detection systems.
- Shigemori, T. (2012). Gas Sensors Status and Future Trends for Safety Applications. IMCS 2021 – The 14th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors, 49–51. https://doi.org/10.5162/IMCS2012/PT1
- Liu, X., Cheng, S., Liu, H., Hu, S., Zhang, D., & Ning, H. (2012). A survey on gas sensing technology. Sensors, 12(7), 9635–9665. https://doi.org/10.3390/s120709635
- Dey, S., & Mehta, N. S. (2020). Resources , Environment and Sustainability Automobile pollution control using catalysis. Resources, Environment and Sustainability, 100006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resenv.2020.100006
- International Gas Detectors. “IGD Nitrogen Dioxide Detector.” International Gas Detectors, internationalgasdetectors.com/igd-nitrogen-dioxide-detector/.
- Cames, M., & Helmers, E. (2013). Critical evaluation of the European diesel car boom – global comparison , environmental effects and various national strategies. Environmental Sciences Europe, 25(15), 1–22. https://doi.org/10.1186/2190-4715-25-15
- International Gas Detectors. “Car Park Gas Detection.” International Gas Detectors, internationalgasdetectors.com/applications/car-park-gas-detection/.
- International Gas Detectors. “Car Park Gas Detection Case Study.” International Gas Detectors, internationalgasdetectors.com/car-park-gas-detection-case-study/.
- International Gas Detectors. “TOC-GATEWAY Data Sheet.” International Gas Detectors, internationalgasdetectors.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/TOC-GATEWAY-Data-SheetSL033.pdf.
- International Gas Detectors. “750/650 Addressable Gas Detection System.” International Gas Detectors, internationalgasdetectors.com/product/750-650-addressable-gas-detection-system/.
- International Gas Detectors. “TOC-750 Addressable Safe Area Gas Detector.” International Gas Detectors, internationalgasdetectors.com/product/toc-750-addressable-safe-area-gas-detector/.