Applying protective measures in potentially explosive atmospheres saves lives. Reduce the risks of working with gases and vapours in hazardous areas with this revised part of the 60079 series.
What is BS EN 60079-10-1:2015?
This second edition of BS EN 6007910-1 Explosive atmospheres. Classification of areas. Explosive gas atmospheres sets out the essential criteria against which ignition hazards can be assessed, and gives guidance on the design and control parameters which can be used in order to reduce such hazards.
BS EN 60079-10-1:2015 focuses on the classification of areas where flammable gas or vapour hazards may arise. This standard can be used as a basis to support the proper selection and installation of equipment for use in hazardous areas.
This standard doesn’t apply to domestic premises, rooms used for medical purposes, mines susceptible to firedamp, the processing and manufacture of explosives.
What has changed since the previous version?
BS EN 60079-10-1:2015 Edition 2.0 has had a full technical update since the previous version was published in 2009. Some of the key changes include:
- Complete restructuring and dividing into sections to identify possible methodologies for classifying hazardous areas and to provide further explanation on specific assessment factors
- Introduction of new terms and the definitions
- Introduction of clauses for alternative methods of area classification
- Updated examples for presentation of hazardous area classification
- Updated calculations for release rate
Who should use BS EN 60079-10-1:2015?
BS EN 60079-10-1:2015 Edition 2.0 is relevant to organizations and professionals working in potentially explosive atmospheres, particularly those working with gases and vapours. Users of this standard include:
- Manufacturers of protected electrical equipment
- Electrical Engineers
- Suppliers and those working with flammable materials
- Health and safety officers
- Site Inspectors
- Risk Assessors
- Testing sites/laboratories